I was recently reminded of the analogy between product development and gardening. I think it’s a great analogy because:
- You can’t just plant something and leave it unattended – it needs to be nurtured.
- If you don’t nurture it, it will die.
- The bigger it gets, the more people you need to nurture it.
- A dieing part of a garden reflects poorly on the overall garden.
- If a part of the garden is not contributing to the greater good, cull it.
- There’s a complex ecosystem at play, changing one part will impact other parts.
- You shouldn’t wait for the garden to be fully finished before you enjoy it.
- Walking through a well nurtured garden is a wonderful experience.